Fundamentals of Lasers in Health Care - Course
Wednesday, April 11 | 1:30 PM - 5:30 PM | Room: Wedgewood Ballroom
Participants Any physician or clinician who currently is using or investigating using lasers in their practice.
Background Requirements Minimal background and experience in the field of laser and other light-based technology and their application in health care.
Educational Needs/Expected Learning Objectives
- Understand the biophysics pertinent to the application of lasers and energy-based devices and will be prepared to apply this same understanding related to the provision of patient care.
- Understand the interaction and implications of using lasers and energy-based devices on human tissues and be capable of using this knowledge in the provision of patient care.
- To select the appropriate lasers or energy-based devices in different clinical settings including treatment of pigment, vascular disorders, skin rejuvenation and body contouring.
- To learn the appropriate clinical endpoints in the use of lasers and energy-based devices for the treatment of a wide range of clinical conditions.
- Understand the safety risks to providers and patients associated with the use of lasers and energy-based devices, and understand and be capable of using this knowledge to practice the safety necessary to provide a safe environment for all providers and patients.
Director(s) Henry H.L. Chan, MD, FAAD; Paul M. Friedman, MD
Faculty Mathew M. Avram, MD, JD; Eric F. Bernstein, MD; Arielle N. Kauvar, MD; Kristen M. Kelly, MD; J. Stuart Nelson, MD; Arisa E. Ortiz, MD; Fernanda H. Sakamoto, MD, PhD; Robert A. Weiss, MD, FAAD
|1:30 PM - 1:34 PM
||Introduction and Pre-Test - Henry H.L. Chan & Paul M. Friedman
|1:35 PM - 1:55 PM
|Biophysics Principles of Lasers and Related Technologies - J. Stuart Nelson
|1:56 PM - 2:16 PM
||Overview of Lasers and Energy-based Devices Interactions with Human Tissue - Fernanda H. Sakamoto
|2:17 PM - 2:37 PM
Lasers and Energy-based Devices in Dermatological Application: An Overall Overview - Arisa E. Ortiz
|2:38 PM - 2:48 PM
||Fractionated Technologies - Paul M. Friedman
|2:49 PM - 3:09 PM
||Laser Treatment of Vascular Lesions and Pediatric Lasers - Kristen M. Kelly
|3:10 PM - 3:30 PM
||Tattoo, Pigmented Lesions and Ethnic Skin - Henry H.L. Chan
|3:31 PM - 3:45 PM
|3:46 PM - 4:06 PM
||Laser Hair Removal - Arielle N. Kauvar
|4:07 PM - 4:27 PM
||Laser Safety - Eric F. Bernstein
|4:28 PM - 4:48 PM
||Non-invasive Body Contouring and Skin Tightening - Robert A. Weiss
|4:49 PM - 5:19 PM
||Addressing Complications of Laser and Energy-based Procedures - Mathew M. Avram
|5:20 PM - 5:30 PM
||Q&A, Conclusion and Post-Test - Henry H.L. Chan & Paul M. Friedman
Schedule and rooms subject to change without notice