Press Credentials & Guidelines
ASLMS welcomes all media who are employed by accredited news organizations to apply for complimentary media credentials to attend the ASLMS Annual Conference for the purpose of editorial coverage.
Press credentials will be granted to reporters from the following types of news media:
- Newspapers, weeklies, and magazines
- Wire services
- Broadcast media
- Trade media: medical, science, device, and allied healthcare publications
- Online media
- Accredited medical and science freelance writers
Reporters and writers must provide proof of credentials to receive a complimentary press badge to attend the meeting. ASLMS reserves the right to grant press privileges to individuals on a case-by-case basis. Registration at previous ASLMS meetings does not guarantee approval. It is highly recommended that media register in advance of the conference to confirm acceptance.
A maximum of three (3) individuals per news organization will be permitted to register as press unless granted special permission by ASLMS. Registered media are required to wear press badges at all times during the conference.
- Submit required press materials (see list below) to Andrea Alstad via email, email@example.com
- Upon approval, you will receive a code to register as press.
Required Materials for Receiving Press Badges
- Media identification, such as an international accredited press pass, issued by a recognized news organization
- Business card clearly stating affiliation with a news organization as specified in Press Credentials and Guidelines (see above) and position, e.g., editor, publisher, writer, reporter, producer, etc.
- Letter on official letterhead from the editor of a publication/website or producer of a broadcast program certifying the affiliation, verifying assignment to the conference, and including the editor's contact information
For journalism students:
- A letter on official school letterhead, signed by a department professor and including their contact information, verifying assignment to the meeting
For freelance journalists:
- Copies of bylined laser and energy-based medicine-related articles and an official letter of assignment from an accredited news organization
For newsletter media:
- Newsletter media must submit current issues of the newsletter containing at least one bylined article; if a representative was registered as media at a previous ASLMS meeting, one of the issues submitted must illustrate the resulting editorial coverage
For reporters from online media, medical publishing companies, healthcare societies and associations, and university publications:
- Reporters must provide appropriate media credentials as noted above for journalists as well as demonstrate the following criteria: original editorial news coverage, editorial freedom from advertisers/sponsors, and if sponsored, have multiple sponsors that are clearly identified (single-sponsor outlets are not eligible)
- Bloggers must provide a letter with the URL for the website for which they are writing, audience reach and statement of purpose regarding attendance.
- Examples of posts that demonstrate recent coverage of medical topics of interest to physicians and/or general patient audiences must be supplied; ASLMS reserves the right to grant bloggers press credentials on a case-by-case basis, therefore registration in advance of the conference is highly recommended to confirm acceptance.
For TV Stations, documentary film crews and video production companies:
- A written request must be submitted no less than 30 days prior to the start of ASLMS
- The request should include information about the company, the purpose of attending the conference, a synopsis of the film, video, or documentary, names/job functions of the crew members, and the sources of editorial/financial support for the project
- ASLMS policy prohibits photography or videography in the exhibit hall or classrooms.
Press credentials will not be issued to the following representatives:
- Financial or industry analysts
- Advertising/sales representatives of publications
- Spouses and other guests of journalists attending the meeting
- Advertising, marketing, or public relations representatives from exhibitor companies or agencies
- Representatives from companies that post videos of scientific sessions for medical education purpose of creating continuing medical education (CME) or other commercial content (e.g., webcasts, online or printed educational modules, etc.)
- Representatives of organizations selling or producing publications, video/audio tapes, or website intended for marketing, advertising, or public relations purposes
- Organizations whose main objective is to promote a product or service, e.g., marketing, advertising, financial analysts, or public relations personnel
- Industry representatives, in-house and industry newsletters or magazines, and representatives of corporate, university, or hospital public relations, advertising, or marketing departments may not register as press
- Bloggers who do not publish news related to laser and energy-based medicine on a regular basis.
Guidelines and Policies
Press Policy Violations
Individuals with complimentary press badges that violate ASLMS press policies will immediately forfeit press credentials for the conference as well as any subsequent conferences or courses. Revocation of press credentials include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Selling, marketing, or representing a company for the purposes of obtaining advertising and/or subscriptions from any registrant or exhibitor marketing a product or service displayed at a ASLMS meeting
- Misrepresentation to obtain press credentials to cover the meeting
- Sharing or distributing embargoed media materials beyond those immediately involved in the development of news coverage prior to the embargo lift
- Product promotion that implies ASLMS endorsement and/or usage of the ASLMS logo without the express written consent of ASLMS
- Publishing or posting press conference slides, abstracts, posters or substantial portions of these materials. These are provided to the media to assist in the development of original news coverage only and not for copying, sale or redistribution.
Media, investigators, organizations issuing press releases, and others with access to research accepted for presentation during the ASLMS conference are required to abide by the embargo policies governing the conference.
- Coverage of scientific data and results presented at the meeting, whether in plenary or concurrent sessions or in abstracts and poster presentations, is strictly prohibited until the start of each individual presentation. Coverage is defined to include all media channels: print, electronic (social media, blogs, posts), video, and audio.
- If a separate embargo is noted for a specific presentation(s), coverage is strictly prohibited until the date(s) and time(s) noted.
- Content that is pre-published online in advance of print publication remains subject to the ASLMS embargo policy unless the author(s) provide written consent to nullify the embargo.
Please be advised that any journalist violating the Embargo Policy will have his or her press credentials immediately revoked and will not be granted press credentials for future ASLMS conferences.
On-Site Guidelines and Policies
Members of the press are invited to all courses and sessions (excludes breakfasts and luncheons); however, they must adhere to the guidelines below:
- Registered media are required to check in at the registration desk upon arrival.
- While onsite, registered media should wear their ASLMS press badge at all times.
- All scientific sessions, educational sessions, oral and poster abstract sessions, and the Exhibit Hall are open to the media.
- Still photography, video and/or audio taping of the sessions, presentations, posters, or exhibit hall is strictly prohibited.
- ASLMS reserves the right to engage professional photographers and/or audio/visual professionals to document the meeting for use in informational articles or future promotions of its activities.
- Registered media are encouraged to request interviews with ASLMS leadership, speakers/presenters, and other participants at least one week in advance. Media representatives are required to schedule interviews through the Society’s Marketing and Communications Manager, Andrea Alstad at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-845-9283.
- Members of the press are not permitted to ask questions at the microphones or via the mobile app during an educational session.
These policies were last updated January 21, 2019 and are subject to change. Please check with ASLMS for further updates.